Saturday, October 3, 2015

Stages of Technology Integration


photo source

The stages of technology integration ring very true for me professionally. Macintosh computers were just reaching colleges when I was a student, and as a secretary for the math department I had easy access to a computer. I am grateful for this because I think I was introduced to computers at a young enough age to not be intimidated by them. Although I may resist technology in certain aspects of my life, I recognized from the beginning of my teaching career that technology has value, especially in teaching world languages.

Reflecting on my attempts to integrate technology into my teaching practices, I think I found the adaptation stage the easiest. In this stage I let students use technology for word processing and to drill vocabulary. I was substituting work on the computer for work done by hand. It did not involve any creativity, and the uses of technology were obvious. The stage I found the most difficult is the stage where I am currently, the innovation stage. This is also the most interesting stage, but challenging. I want to integrate more technology into my teaching practice, but in a meaningful way that enables students to create authentic materials to share with a real audience. Students generally think it is fun to use technology, but I do not want to use technology just for the sake of using it. If it does not enhance a unit or the students' learning then it is probably not worth the time or effort.

Photo Source


The internet and world language acquisition are a natural fit. The internet gives teachers and students incredible access to authentic language. We can explore the language and culture of countries where our language of focus is spoken. We can also use the internet to connect with other educators and students to practice the target language and learn about the culture. However, I think it is important to not abandon all former methods. At the basic level of language acquisition where memorization is required, many people benefit from writing by hand. This forces them to work more slowly and allows time to process the work as they write it. I think the physical movement also helps many people to remember vocabulary and language patterns. In addition, one of the main reasons to learn a second language is to be able to communicate in that language in a conversation with native speakers. The skill of face to face conversation remains relevant to learning and using a second language.

I agree with the five stages that are listed from the ACOT study, but I would add one more. I think there is a stage between Appropriation and Innovation. I would call this stage Embracing. For me, there was, and often I think I am still at this stage, a point where I embraced technology, but not to the  point of excess. I integrated technology where I could, but was not quite at the stage of Innovation. I used technology in some creative ways, but had not worked my way up the SAMR ladder for most of my technology influenced lessons. Of course, teaching is a practice that continually evolves, and working toward the Innovation stage is part of what keeps me engaged in education.

1 comment:

  1. I, too remember first becoming a teacher and having to make the conscious choice to embrace technology (which was quite new to education at the time). I remember being in a faculty meeting where the principal talked about how she would eventually want us using it. It was then (I can see it clear as day in my minds' eye) where I thought "I can either go one way or the other with this tech stuff but I have a feeling if I close my eyes to it I'll regret it" so like you I'm grateful I kept an open mind.

    The idea of an EMBRACING stage is a great one! In fact, I'd almost like to do away with the innovation stage, or at the very least redefine it.

    Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete