Friday, November 6, 2015

Web 2.0 Tools: Blabberize



Painting of Jeanne d’Arc c. 1485. An artist’s interpretation, since the only known direct portrait has not survived
© Centre Historique des Archives Nationales, Paris, AE II 2490

Check out my talking Jeanne d'Arc, created on Blabberize


     Venturing into the world of Web 2.0 tools, I first had to understand exactly what this term means. I learned that this expression refers to tools that are used to create products, often collaboratively, that can easily be shared. All of this is accomplished using the internet. I chose to try Blabberize because it involves speaking, and I am always on the lookout for a new way to offer my students practice in speaking French. The idea I used to create my animated talking picture though does not involve French this time. I decided to try Blabberize to create an example project to show my students as an option for the "Famous Francophone Project" they complete.
     The "Famous Francophone Project" is a chance for students to research and demonstrate their knowledge of a famous French speaking person. I give the students a list to choose from, but they also have the option of choosing a person who is not on the list as long as I approve him/her. The list I have compiled includes historical figures like Jeanne d'Arc, scientists, artists, sports figures, and many others. I think Blabberize could be an interesting way for them to present their person to the class and others. I plan to use this in my class in the Spring.
     I thought the tool was easy to use. It seems very straightforward and intuitive. I did not need to spend much time learning to navigate the Blabberize website. I like this about the tool because although I want to offer my students the opportunity to be creative and have fun, I want the main focus to be on the material. Another application I would like to try is to have my students choose an animal and to introduce themselves as this animal. I would have them do this in French. It would be good practice for the structure of sentences that are needed to tell one's name, age, nationality, etc. They could then share this with their pen pals in France via a wiki.

1 comment:

  1. Blabberize has a lot of potential and can be a fun way to have students demonstrate speaking in french. I hope you decide to try it with them!

    ReplyDelete